Thursday, March 6, 2008

"Oh my god, Becky, look at the size of her vest!"


I am wearing a vest today, something I haven't done since 1992, when I was in middle school and liked to wear my hair in artfully labored-over bang constructions. It feels good.

I've always dug the menswear look, which is a shame, really, since my body type is about as far as you can get from a man's. I have equal parts hootertown to my padunkadunk and a whole lotta thigh to match. Suffice to say, I don't even really do proper justice to most pants, much less vests, suspenders or pork pie hats.

I have friends, wily lanky friends like glassmongoose and knitsybitsycycler who look so good in this stuff it makes your teeth hurt. I watch them effortlessly pulling off aspects of Annie Hall aesthetics and think, "damn, that looks good. I should try that." But like the consumate younger sister I am, trying to emulate all that inspires me, such flights of fancy are often best left to paper doll fantasies than actual fruition.

So I look like a dork. I know it. I'm wearing a vest covered in stars, straining where it should be relaxing, and as cool as I want to feel right now, I am patently aware that my outfit screams "Ren, ren, rennnnnn!" That's Ren as in Rennaissance, for you non D&D-eschewing homies out there.

But what the fuck. I am Ren. I read Harry Potter. I have a NeverEnding Story tattoo. I play D&D. I don't live in my parent's basement and I am getting laid, so really, what do I have left to prove?

The vest, she stays.

4 comments:

Muscle in a Cavity said...

Vest or no vest, you are a cutey-pie. I'd still love you even if you wore chain-mail.

poverty said...

Two words:

Paula Poundstone

Cheap Cook said...

So I don't play D&D, but i live in my parent's basement and am not getting laid.

Moral of the story? Nerds are hot. Rock out that vest, sista.

Anonymous said...

erm...cedar?