Monday, May 12, 2008

Needle Stickin' Daddies


I've been giving some thought lately to getting acupuncture. I'm into all that hippie/alternative health shit and with my lemon of a body I figure it's good to try anything that could be even somewhat helpful. Want me to drink aloe vera? Done. Take probiotics? Of course! Choke down fish oil, chromium picollinate, multi-vites, l-tyrosine and milk thistle? Every frickin morning! I'm beyond drug cocktails at this point. I've moved on to full-on drug highballs.

So poking a few needles into my face or wherever else they want to stick them sounds pretty reasonable. Hell, it sounds downright exciting. At least it did until I talked to hombrelibre's mom this weekend and she told me about her recent acupuncture experience, which was positive and all until she caught herself going postal on people at dinner parties from the heady rush of having all those emotions released.

I'm a little shaky on the whole principle of acupuncture but from what I understand it's supposed to unblock energy flow in your body, and essentially remove those impasses. Which is excellent for releasing emotion, but bad for tourette's syndrome-like outbursts. And as anyone who knows me will attest, I am somewhat prone to the outbursts. I spend an inordinate amount of time looking for water to wash my foot down with. I even once had a boss who made me put a post-it note on my desk saying "Does it need to be said? Does it need to be said by me? Does it need to be said now?" Suffice to say, I'm scared of releasing any additional blocks. What little blocks I have seem to have kept me employed and barely passable in society. In the land of the giant mouth, I am Queen.

On the other hand, I have been stuffing a lot down lately in the ol' emotional barrage that's been my reality. Seeing as how I moved and had two friends die in the course of two weeks I've had to compartmentalize a lot of my feelings just to keep chugging along. I'm no physicist but I cling to the theory that an object in motion can't fall.

I said I was no physicist.

So maybe some unblocking is in order. Maybe I should woman up, toss back a few, have a stranger slap a few needles in my temple and get ready for the crying catharsis to begin. And if you get a drunken-sounding phone call from me rambling about the beauty of life and how much I love you, just indulge me.

3 comments:

evilcat said...

God. At least your outbursts are entertaining! I can't believe your boss gave you that note. What a bastard.

VK said...

GO GET ACUPUNCTURE - You'll love it! I can give you the name of my gal if you need it.

Muscle in a Cavity said...

I thought you were normal! What a shock to read the truth, that you are like the rest of us trying to find a healthy mental state. When you get the acupuncture, have a coconut gold bar at the ready.